The Junior League is a great opportunity for kids 8-13 years old to play golf. The league runs every Friday for 9 weeks. Each week the kids will have a golf lesson learning or refining certain skills from chipping to putting, driving, sand shots etc. They will put the lesson to test later on in the round with a friendly competition. Prizes are awarded to all kids who complete the skill test successfully. To qualify for the final tournament, each child must play 6 of the 8 regular rounds (to establish a handicap) prior to the tournament. If you do not qualify for the tournament we still encourage the kids to participate in the final week as we have an ice cream social and other fun events lined up.
- Saturday, June 1
- Information session for all registered participants – no clubs needed this day
- Sign up for June 7th instructional clinics or tee time (for experienced golfers)
- Friday, June 7th
- Instructional clinics for new participants: 8-10am / 9-11am / 10-12am
- Regular play for experienced golfers: 5:30am-1pm tee times
- Fridays; June 7th to August 2nd
- Tee times from 5:30am-1pm
- $40 entry fee
- $14 greens fee per week to be paid in the proshop – pay as you play
- $2 pull carts (optional)
- April 1st for existing participants
- May 1st for new participants
Tee times vary from week to week ranging from 5:30am to 1pm. Jr. Leaguers are expected to make their own tee time for the following Friday.
Dress Code & Rules
- Weather appropriate, a polo is not necessary, and jeans are OK. Please NO soccer, football, or baseball cleats. Golf shoes or tennis shoes please!
- It's getting HOT out here! Summers can get hot and sunny. Please make sure your child has sunscreen, a hat if necessary and a bottle for water. We will have water stations and plenty of shade for the kids throughout the course.
- Phones are only to be used to call for a ride. No listening to music on the course.
- Oh no it's raining! Unless there is thunder and lightning, Jr. League is still playing! If you are still unsure if the kids are playing, give the pro shop a call at 708.349.6940 x4! If it starts thundering and lightning during the round, the kids will be taken off of the course to a safe area in the clubhouse.
Junior golf has always been important to the Coghills, which is why the family started the Silver Lake Junior League in the late 1970s. An employee of Silver Lake noticed all of the kids running around the club and thought it would be fun to start a league for the kids. The league began with about 20 boys and girls and has now grown to include over 320 kids between the ages of 8 and 13.
This 9-hole instructional league has maintained its mission from the start: to encourage children to learn and enjoy the sport. Each Friday of the Summer, young golfers learn the fundamental rules and skills to play the game. Our experienced instructional staff provides an “on the course lesson” teaching the proper etiquette and covers each area of the game from putting, to chipping, to long hitting, in addition to much more. Rolling Hills continues to provide the perfect setting for juniors to learn a sport they can play for the rest of their lives.
A tradition from the start, the league’s climax comes in early August as our members test their skills in the annual tournament championship. Various contests are put on and prizes are awarded, putting the exclamation point on another fun season.